Friday, February 17, 2017

Intro and jAsteroids!

Hello and welcome to my gaming blog! This blog is a place for me to post about what I'm working on as well as links to things I've finished.

My goal is to make a game a week for at least the next year. These games will likely all be small, and most of them clones. I'll detail out the creative process for each game and be sure to highlight areas where I had trouble so hopefully you can learn to make games as well.

Last weekend I finished my first game, jAsteroids! This is a simple asteroids clone coded in Java using jMonkeyEngine and zay-es. I followed zay-es tutorial rather closely to implement the spatial rendering, but most other code I had to create myself. I implemented a super basic collision detection for every collide able object in the scene. The asteroids are defined by an integer, 1-5 which corresponds to their size. Every time an asteroid collides with something non-asteroid they are destroyed and spawn 2-4 asteroids of the next size down, until size 0 where no more will spawn. The game ends when you clear the screen. Write down that score and re-start to see how high you can get! (sorry, no persistence between levels, I only had 3 days)

Your ship has 3 health before it explodes. So fly safe and clean up those asteroids ;)

You can download by clicking the jAsteroids above, or by using this url below.
(sorry, win32 only for now, if you would like to see other OS's let me know!)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz4nByoX2Ks7QV82UUViekxjWUU

I will be taking suggestions for what games people would like to see made over 1 weekend.
This weekend will be a Snake game ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment